The recipe seems counterintuitive: think harder about how to get more done with fewer resources. Perhaps the innovative solution doesn’t need to be manufactured. Maybe it’s not a new approach. Sometimes, the best path is the same strategy that solved a different problem with similar features. This is the beauty of teamwork. The wisdom usually already lives in the creative archives of a teammate’s experience.
Ask these questions when facing a difficult situation:
- Has anyone ever seen something like this before?
- What approaches have succeeded and failed in the past?
- Has every teammate’s voice been heard?
- Are we paying close enough attention to the outliers and contrary opinions?
- Do we have the courage to try something uncomfortable?
Take full advantage of the strength and diversity of your team. Innovation doesn’t have to be a chore. Raise the voice of the quiet coworker with the simple idea.