- Acknowledge what has been lost. Take stock in the team’s history and harness the gains of the current state.
- Refocus on the new circumstances shaping the team’s future state. The movement from the expression of pain to problem-solving is energizing.
- Inventory the team’s strengths. The delicate blend of talent dovetails differently with the change in membership.
- Clarify mission, values, and culture. Transitions are ideal times for challenging team norms.
- Enlist a commitment from everyone. Words and behaviors are the only true measures of accountability.
Healthy teams are always evolving. Usually, the changes are subtle. Occasionally, the shift is powerful enough to warrant a reboot. Seize the moment. Whether in a retreat or a strategic plan, bring the players together and walk through the exercise. Acknowledge. Refocus. Inventory. Clarify. Commit.