Your Solo Work as a Teammate
Most teamwork is relationship driven. Everyone has a role and function relative to their teammates’ roles and functions. Yet, each interaction is fueled by a solo decision made in the privacy of your thoughts. Before we collaborate, a few items must be clear:
- Do I agree with the mission, vision, and values of my team?
- Am I willing to disagree and manage the consequences of being different?
- Is the environment safe for experimentation?
- Can I endure the chance that my efforts to succeed might fail?
- Am I up for something new if things change?
There’s a private threshold of independent decision making that buffers all team interactions. Most of the time, your teammates have no idea you are wrestling with these considerations. Most likely, they are wrestling with the same challenges. Perhaps these questions would make great topics of team conversation.